What are My Self-Employed Tax Obligations As A Panty Seller?

Dear Diary,

It seems that the government wants to take all of my hard earned money. Despite me knowing that there are some benefits to being self employed I can’t help feeling some type of way. The least I can do is help other realize what their obligations to the government.

~keeping up with the Taxes

Let’s get right to it…

You have to file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment are $400 or more. If your net earnings from self-employment were less than $400, you still have to file an income tax return if you meet any other filing requirement listed in the Form 1040 and 1040-SR instructions PDF.

As a self-employed individual, generally you are required to file an annual return and pay estimated tax quarterly.

Self-employed individuals generally must pay self-employment tax (SE tax) as well as income tax. SE tax is a Social Security and Medicare tax primarily for individuals who work for themselves. It is similar to the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners. In general, anytime the wording “self-employment tax” is used, it only refers to Social Security and Medicare taxes and not any other tax (like income tax).

Before you can determine if you are subject to self-employment tax and income tax, you must figure your net profit or net loss from your business. You do this by subtracting your business expenses from your business income. If your expenses are less than your income, the difference is net profit and becomes part of your income on page 1 of Form 1040 If your expenses are more than your income, the difference is a net loss. You usually can deduct your loss from gross income on page 1 of Form 1040 or 1040-SR. But in some situations your loss is limited. See Pub. 334, Tax Guide for Small Business (For Individuals Who Use Schedule C) for more information.

How Do I File My Annual Return?

To file your annual tax return, you will need to use Schedule C PDF to report your income or loss from a business you operated or a profession you practiced as a sole proprietor. Schedule C Instructions PDF may be helpful in filling out this form.

In order to report your Social Security and Medicare taxes, you must file Schedule SE (Form 1040 or 1040-SR ), Self-Employment Tax PDF. Use the income or loss calculated on Schedule C to calculate the amount of Social Security and Medicare taxes you should have paid during the year. The Instructions PDF for Schedule SE may be helpful in filing out the form.

Do I get a deduction for my home office?

If you use part of your home for business, you may be able to deduct expenses for the business use of your home. The home office deduction is available for homeowners and renters, and applies to all types of homes.

Should I keep my receipts for things that I buy?

Yes absolutely yes. Keep track of every single receipt. Yes even for the gas, gas mileage, lunches etc. If you were doing it for business purposes it most likely can be deducted. You want to be sure you are getting all the benefits due you.

Now that you have some information on what to do for your taxes, take care of business.

Until next time…